Friday, October 21, 2005

Eric Discusses Constitutional Stuff, Among Other Things

Eric, who Grumbles sometimes, has an outstanding blog. He is also the fearless leader of the Life Liberty Property group.

One of the things he likes to do is remind people what the Constitution meant to the people who helped draft it.

He recently asked whether social welfare was constitutional.

Quoting James Madison: "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison, 4 Annals of congress 179 (1794)

And Thomas Jefferson: "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated." --Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Albert Gallatin, 1817

Makes you wonder. This week alone he has tackled the meaning of the Second Amendment, the incorporation of the Bill of Rights through the 14th Amendment, Miers and the Coburn Amendment.

Check out the post and his site.

Also, via Eric, can you pass this third grade geography test.

Disclaimer: This was not a paid advertisement, though contributions after the fact would be accepted.

5 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Blasphemy! Whilst sipping an amusing yet mildly sassy Sancerre-style Fume Blanc yestereve, I clearly discerned in the veins of the saga blue cheese on my cocktail cracker a penumbral right to gorge myself at the public trough, you vile unlearned cretin.

Do not presume to lecture your betters - we know an emanation when we see one. We've been to France.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger KJ said...

Retirement apparently makes one saucey.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I've heard it rumored, but I don't believe it.

And here I though one of the privileges of being a mere reader was that I'd get to lob snark at the hired help.

How disappointing...

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Who got hired? Is someone here being paid? Now I'm pissed. I would think that if anyone were paid, it would be me.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Wrong, you overworked, underpaid lackey of the richest 1%. Now get back to work. I think I hear The Man calling you.

*running away*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home