Monday, September 26, 2005

Your Choice: Crawl Space or Gitmo?

American contract worker Roy Hallums was captured in Iraq and held for 10 months.

He was rescued by American forces and is now home. He describes his ordeal. I don't think he would be complaining about the grub or exercise time of the Gitmo prisoners.
[H]is captors kept him blindfolded and bound throughout the ordeal

Hallums also said the motive behind his kidnapping was ransom but he refused to give his captors contact information for his family to spare them from having to negotiate.

According to a release from CBS, he said that his captors used beatings to force him to criticize President Bushin a videotape. On the video that was monitored in Iraq in January, Hallums was seen with a rifle pointed at his head.

"I am please asking for help because my life is in danger because it's been proved I worked for American forces," he said on the video. "I'm not asking for any help from President Bush because I know of his selfishness and unconcern for those who've been pushed into this hellhole."

Somewhat surprisingly, he makes this ordeal sound as though it were primarily business rather than military in motivation.

Hallums told "60 Minutes" that he believed the captors were related, ran "a family business" and were trying to get ransom money.

The kidnappers tried to force Hallums to give them a phone number for his family so they could ask for money, but Hallums did not reveal that information. "I knew if I gave them the number, they would call them and ask for money," Hallums said. "I didn't want (my family) to deal with a call like that."

I applaud his courage to keep his family from getting that phone call and for never giving up. He knew that Denzel Washington would come for him sooner or later.

3 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

The Hallums family - Roy, his ex-wife Susan, and daughter Carrie - make an interesting contrast to another American family.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

"Flirty bits?"

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Ah, yes. The ole flirty bits defense. I had to bomb Americans. The flirty bits made me do it.

Cass, given my recent numbers, you aren't the only one who can't read my blog any more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home