Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, USMC

Oh heck. I wasn't going to do this, but since I can, I suppose I will.

Happy 230th Birthday, United States Marines:

GENERAL LEJEUNE'S MESSAGE

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.


And Happy Birthday, my friend. And no teasing me. This is only for a week :)

No matter where they may find themselves on this day, Marines gather to celebrate the birth of their Corps. Because I like history and tradition, here's a bit of history on the Marine Corps Birthday Ball. For those of you who have never been to one, it is something special to see, though we tend to complain about it a bit after 20 years or so.

And Mackubin Owens offers a history lesson that is, as always, worth reading. I always make it a point to read his columns. Mr. Owens is a very gracious man. I sent him a note months ago about something or other and we exchanged a few emails. He could not have been kinder or more courteous. He has a great sense of humor too. I'm certain he doesn't remember the whole thing, but it always makes a big impression on me when someone like that takes the time to answer a nothing little blogger. Very nice gentleman.

And finally, though I know he will never see it:

Since I was only seventeen years old, for me the sun has risen and set in your eyes. I look at you and see everything good, honorable, and worthy. You wear the uniform well, and though I know you haven't always gotten to do everything you wanted to do, you have always served without complaint. You have completed each task faithfully; with intelligence, skill, and dispatch. And above all you have put the future of your Corps and your country ahead of your own career and your personal desires. There can be no finer tribute than that in my estimation.

Happy Birthday, my dearest love.

5 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

Happy Birthday, Corps.
Always, the best.
(But please don't drive yourself. The Navy will get you there.)

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger camojack said...

Very nice, Cass. I hope he does get to see it someday...

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

He never reads anything I write camo. But I cooked him a nice birthday meal last night and told him I was proud of him. He knows how much I hate to cook, so hopefully that sufficed.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger camojack said...

Well, darlin'...you could print it out, and leave it where he'll see it. Just an idea...

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Grim said...

No teasing, eh? Heh. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home