Friday, October 14, 2005

Scalia Speaks The Obvious

Scalia recently spoke on a couple of Supreme Court issues. He spoke the obvious.

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, often extolled by conservative Republicans as their ideal model of a judge, said Monday the confirmation process was too politicized and that he wouldn't want to experience it again.

Well, duh. Scalia was approved for the Court 98-0. Roberts should have been confirmed unanimously as well. That may never happen again with a Republican appointment, though Democratic appointments (see, Ginsberg) still get similar respect from Republican Senators.

After giving lip service to much O'Conner would be missed, Scalia tackled cameras in the Supreme Court.

On another issue, Scalia said he is adamantly opposed to televising Supreme Court sessions.

"We don't want to become entertainment," he said. "I think there's something sick about making entertainment out of real people's legal problems. I don't like it in the lower courts, and I don't particularly like it in the Supreme Court."

I used to be in favor of cameras in the Supreme Court, but I am starting to think like Scalia on this one. We have a society that favors style over substance, and it has become impossible to explain anything that takes more than 10 seconds to the public. The Supreme Court should remain a place where substance and not style controls. I think TV only moves us to the style side of the world. I'm not saying I would not change my mind, but I do not think we need the TV right now.

That said, I think the audio from oral arguments should go public immediately. That should satisfy the sunshine requirements.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger spd rdr said...

Agreed. No cameras. The Court is the last bastion of civility and purpose. TV brings nothing to it.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

I hate to say it, because it sounds like we are limiting access and learning, but there's the Kennedy effect. Nixon's platform took a backseat to Kennedy's visual appeal during those first televised debates, and things have never been the same for the political process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home