Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Good Things About Harriet Miers

"It is very hard to avoid the conclusion that President Bush flinched from a fight on constitutional philosophy. Miers is undoubtedly a decent and competent person. But her selection will unavoidably be judged as reflecting a combination of cronyism and capitulation on the part of the president," said William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard magazine.

I've been hard on the President for nominating Harriet Miers. I've not been the only one. I've even pissed off a few people. I haven't, however, pissed on anyone.

So while I am disappointed in President Bush, I have no problem with Harriet Mier.

So let me say ten good things about Harriet Miers.

1. She is a chick. That evidently was important to the President and Justice O'Conner. I am indifferent about that, but in general I think chicks are good things.

2. She did not go to an Ivy League school or Stanford. I think that is a good thing. There are lots of really good law schools.

3. She got ahead the old fashioned way: hard work. She worked many hours. She didn't stop to get a husband. She didn't stop to raise some kids. In other words, she got ahead the way men do.

4. She is from fly over country. She is not from the Elite Coast or the Left Coast. Good.

5. She is as best I understand a Christian. I don't count that a requirement in politics, but I do consider it positive, all other things being equal.

6. She doesn't do the elite cocktail party scene. The fewer of those people she hangs out with the better.

7. She managed a very large law firm. That is not an easy task.

8. She doesn't hire a make up person. That is obvious, especially as to her eyeliner. I think I would forgive her though if she changed her mind on this position.

9. Her undergraduate degree is in mathematics. I think that is very cool.

10. She packs heat.

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

I'd have to say it's pretty hard to accomplish No. 3 without No. 7, at least in politics.

But seriously, don't expect a reversal on No. 8 from a person qualifying for No. 10. I wouldn't suggest mentioning it to her when the two of you rub elbows in the halls of power. I'm fairly certain that if Thomas were ever inclined to say anything to her about it, he was cured of it during his confirmation.

No. 5 is strongly confirmed in today's WaPo article, which I'm in the process of blogging.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

11. She doesn't need the money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home