Monday, October 03, 2005

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me

WHO!?

WHO?!

Ok, I'm saying that this initial reaction is going to stick, but I think this was an amazingly chicken$h!t nomination by President Bush, and I cannot support it. That is not to say I wouldn't confirm Ms. Miers. I believe that Presidential nominations should be approved absent significant reasons. Still, this is just a sad state of affairs. There are better qualified and better known women. Better qualified and known hispanics. And more importantly, better qualified and better known lawyers. Is this an effort to avoid a fight? I am extremely disappointed this morning.

I invite my nine (that includes you joatmoaf) readers to link in the comments blog posts and news articles that tells me something about this nomination. I can't believe people like Luttig, McConnel, Estrada, Brown and several others were passed over for this nomination.

I hope as I learn more, I am as impressed with Miers as I was with Roberts. I guess we will see.

UPDATE: Of course, Cassandra is all over the linkage.

7 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that she hasn't been a she forever, would it?

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger portia said...

I'm with you, KJ, I don't get it. I'm not saying she's not smart or reasoned or dedicated but with a field of extremely capable judges--men, women, hispanics and blacks--why would Bush choose someone who has been completely absent for her entire legal career from constitutional jurisprudence? This is not a learn-on-the-job, job.

I'll be honest, reading David Frum's (Bush's former speech writer) comment today that:
"In the White House that hero-worshipped the president, Miers was distinguished by the intensity of her zeal: She once told me that the president was the most brilliant man she had ever met,"
gives me even further pause. Shoot me, now.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

Wow. I believe Bush is much more intelligent than he's given credit for, but 'most brilliant' is either misspoken or Harriet is just lost in his dreamy blue eyes.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger portia said...

That, or she hasn't met very many people:)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

If you've read the rest of what David Frum has been writing Portia, I'm rather surprised it didn't ring alarm bells with you. It was a condescending piece of crap. He obviously hadn't bothered to learn much about her. The excerpt I addressed about her being tempted by snooty academians into surrendering her principles couldn't have been farther from the woman I spend all morning learning about - a woman who doesn't socialize much, who works 18 hour days and still finds time to care for her elderly Mother.

Google works even for pundits if they bother to try it and they haven't already closed their minds.

But then I bothered. Frum obviously didn't care enough.

I still neither support nor oppose her. But some of the cheap shots I'm hearing have disgusted me more than anything I think I've heard since the election.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home