Monday, August 01, 2005

Smoking Bans -- Property Rights

A new Georgia law recently went into effect. It banned smoking in all but the most restrictive of business environments. It bans smoking in all public resturants and businesses unless they restrict customers to ages 18 and over. Of course, this proposal was sold in part as being for the children.

I don't smoke. I have a daughter who has had some breathing issues that she seems to be outgrowing, but for that reason I have never taken her into restuarants with smoking.

I think this law is wrong.

The problem with laws like this is not that they violate smoker's rights. Nor that they favor one group like me -- people who prefer non-smoking environments (except for about 12 times a year I want a cigar in a public place). I admit that I benefit by having more places to take my whole family.

No, I don't really care about the smoker/non-smoker war of exchangeable rudeness. I do care about the true liberty denied by these unnecessary and unjust laws. These laws unfairly regulate the property/business owner. As such, they should be vetoed by any property and freedom respecting governor.

Gov. Perdue in Georgia played with the idea of vetoing this legislation. Georgia gets one of the highest percentage of libertarian party votes of all the states, in large part due to radio personality Neal Boortz. Purdue let the business owners down.

Now, many people take the position that smoking causes (1) inconvience or (2) health problems for other customers or employees. But in businesses that allow smoking, like bars and restuarnts, the owners don't hide from their customers or employees the smoking rules. There is victim in an environment that openly allows smokers to light up. No one is subject to unknown harmful air.

The patrons and employees have full knowledge of the smoking conditions immediately upon entering the premises. The right to cater to the business clientelle of one's choice should not be impacted by people who think that every business must cater to their every preference, and that every vice must be eliminated in their presence.

Society has moved towards non-smoking since I was a child. Many businesses went non-smoking on their own well before any government regulations forced them to. McDonalds comes to mind. Many more businesses believe, rightly or wrongly, that the profit maximizing choice is to allow smoking.

We all have the right to vote with our wallet. Vote for the smoking or non-smoking business of your choice. But let the business owner decide whether he or she wants your annoying smoking, or to listen to your annoying complaining about smokers. It isn't your right to tell the business owner to whom to cater. It is your right only to give him your business. Or not.

6 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote:Brad Warbiany said...

Purdue is a university. Perdue is a governor.End Quote:

Nonsense, I know for certain that a Bronchopulmonary segments has lived in “Perdue” all of its life on the corner of apex of the pyramid in the hilum district.So KJ is half right. All this is constant pentameter correction on the net to me irks of misdiagnosed plethora. Seriously – this is not needed as most things in life a normal gaseous exchange rely on simple diffusion. Like a healthy set of pulmonary arteries - can’t we all just get along? The blood flows to the bottom regardless… ;)

And I agree with you KJ. Being a person who has never smoked, thinks it is dumb and suffers from very bad Emphysema – I still believe we have too many laws. We step over the line many years ago and what we have given up we will never get back. I choose to not go in restaurants that have smokers. Why? Because I am smart enough to figure that out all by my self. I don’t need a “Village to raise this Idiot” – thank you!


Breathlessly,
Harden

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger KJ said...

What are you guys talking about. I spelled Perdue correctly.
:~P

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

I thought Perdue was a chicken.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger KJ said...

More like millions of chickens. Dead chickens.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Hey, I go out on the porch to smoke a cigar in my own house. It isn't the smell during the smoke. It is the smell of everthing the next day. I don't like it, so I wouldn't smoke in my house anytime.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Our main living area is hardwoods, wood and leather furniture. Never smoked in it before, but I can tell you it doesn't matter b/c a visitor I have somewhat regularly who shall remain unidentified sneaks cigs during visits even though we have asked that person not to.

After that person leaves, I go into the walk in attic connected to the guest room, I smell smoke. I smell it in the paint in the bathroom. I smell in the toys and books given KJita which of course were stored in that person's house before coming to mine. I wash them all and wipe them down and leave them on the covered deck for a few weeks so as not to have the smell permeate my house.

Maybe I'm sensitive to it now cause I grew up surrounded by smoke and didn't like it, and now I don't have to. I don't mind people smoking around me actually, but I do mind and can't stand the second hand smell that gets into everything.

I throw my clothes after smoking a cigar right into the washer rather than let them sit in my bedroom closet. I will probably have to put a high tech filter/fan in my basement when it is redone so I can have a cigar and watch a UK game at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home