Thursday, May 05, 2005

Where On The Spectrum of Theocracy Is The Fight?

I have friends who send me articles from Cohen, Krugman, Dowd and others of similar tastes, with their endorsement. These columnists have been quite active recently writing about the movement in our country towards, gasp, a theocracy. This issue is covered nicely by villainous company blog princess Cassandra. One of her sources is a well written piece by John Phillips, a former NYT writer.

You will note, perhaps, if you are inclined to, a distinctly less course conversation from Cassandra and Phillips than from Cohen, et al, much less the leftist blogging community on this subject. But according to Bill Maher, it is the "right" that needs anger management therapy.

Although my neo-libertarian orientation occasionally puts me at odds politically with some in the religious right, I know where we have been and where we might go. The current fight over religion in the public square is significantly left of center historically, and left of where it was when I was a child when a prayer was said before the college football games I went to each Saturday, creches appeared in the public square in July, and prostitutes were stoned to death prior to the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Sure, within a range, the pendulum swings to the right and left on certain issues, but the focal point of the pendulum is still left of center historically. To hear the NYT and WaPo tell the story, we are fighting at the edges of theocracy. That position is, to say the least, uninformed and not well researched. To say more than the least, it is intentionally misleading.





*********************************************************************************

7 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

No no, KJ. I my youth in NYC it was "the prostitutes get stoned before the St. Patrick's Day Parade." Them, and about everybody else, too.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Sometimes the picture doesn't show up for me. Then it does. Anyone else having that problem when viewing this page?

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Noton Yalife said...

I can't see the picture either. It may be the come-and-hear.com server not allowing the link. You may have to save it to this site and link it that way.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger KJ said...

I liked the first pic better, but this I hope will at least be seen.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

Yeah, KJ. Uplift the image to your server and parcialate it to the ingetive redunctant transmubulizer before embloating it zeformally to the systemtemic inverter.

Works every time.

But why can't I* save a &**^%$# fifty-four page document after midnight onto the firms' server without crashing?

Well, life without mysteries would be death. So, mysteries.


*Luddite

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Pile OnĀ® said...

This is where I would say, when I was a kid I was always stoned when I visited prostitutes, but you all know I never had to pay for it so it kind of loses it's humor.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger KJ said...

What is so impressive about you Pile is that while you did visit prostitutes, they were happy to give it to you for free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home