Thursday, November 09, 2006

Gingrich Speaks

If the president had decided to replace Secretary Rumsfeld he should have told us two weeks ago," Gingrich said. "I think that we would today control the Senate and probably have 10 to15 more House seats. And I found it very disturbing yesterday in the press conference, the explanation that the President gave.

"We need candor, we need directness," said Gingrich, a potential 2008 presidential candidate."We need to understand the threats we faced with are so frightening and so real, the danger that we'll lose two to three American cities so great, that we cannot play games with each other, cannot manipulate each other, we have to have an open and honest dialogue, and I found yesterday's staments at the press conference frankly very disturbing."

He condemned Bush's admission that in making last week's statement about Rumsfeld, he had known he was being misleading.

"It's inappropriate to cleverly come out the day after an election to do something we were told before the election would not be done," Gingrich said. "I think the timing was exactly backwards and I hope the President will rethink how he engages the American people and how he communicates with candor."

In other words, "don't lie to us Mr. President." Read it all here. He also talks about the entire Congress. Frankly, Gingrich is right most of the time.

4 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I read three or four extremely interesting tidbits about this yesterday. Will be hitting it later this morning.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger KJ said...

I looked and looked, but I didn't find anything.

Tease.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Sorry. I haven't been in the mood to write.

I'll tell you what I heard.

1. This has been in the works for months. Bush was going to get rid of Rummy just before the General's revolt, but that queered it (he didn't think he could give in to that w/o it looking like he was giving in to what was essentially a mutiny from the retired ranks). FWIW, I agree with him. He's the Commander in Chief. And if you recall I said this at the time: if it was their aim to get rid of Rummy, they must made it the ONE thing Bush COULDN'T do - they backed him into a corner. Idiots.

2. I read in the NYT that this was the result of longstanding warfare between teh State dept and Dod and that essentially Condi won and Rummy had to go. First he got rid of Powell who was a worthless POS, then he installed Condi and stabilized State, then when that was done, he told Rummy he had to go.

3. Interestingly enough, someone was talking to Baker in the ISG about Rummy going and he said, "Well, you certainly can't expect Bush to do anything before the election"

Interesting, huh?

This was being discussed at the highest levels. Shit. I might as well post now, ya big jerk.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger KJ said...

Since you did it here first, go ahead and post it here. I could use the traffic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home