Friday, July 14, 2006

World Ends -- Women Hurt Most

A new study reveals that women who work long hours are more likely to eat poorly, smoke and do other bad stuff. But men, the study found, are just fine.

"Women who work long hours eat more high-fat and high-sugar snacks, exercise less, drink more caffeine and, if smokers, smoke more than their male colleagues," said Dr. Daryl O'Connor, a researcher at Leeds University.

"For men, working longer hours has no negative impact on exercise, caffeine intake or smoking," O'Connor said in a statement released by the Economic and Social Research Council, which funded his study.

One can see the clear Catch-22 here. Our employers tend to reward hard workers, but we like good looking, hard workers. Since the hard working women are fat, high strung, and smelly from smoking, they don't get the promotion. The good looking women are of course not working hard, so they don't get the promotion. That leaves only us men, who thankfully are not judged so harshly on our looks.

God is good.

5 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger camojack said...

I'm just looking for'ard to retirement at this juncture in my long and illustrious career...

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

Man, oh man, I don't wanna be around when Cass sees this.

I'll acknowledge that women develop bad habits at work and pay for it, and I'll even concede the part about men not being judged so harshly on their looks, but your final crack earns you a thwock in the shins.

Men.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I have been holding back, tee bee.

Sadly, yesterday I was filling out one of those "calculate your REAL AGE" online quizzes. I was going great guns until I got to the 'food and eating' section.

At first my real age was... my real age.

Then I was... slightly older. No surprise there - I'd only filled out the stress section. I've had people close by die in under two months and another is on the way out the Big Trapdoor.

Then I was a year and half younger. Things were looking up. This was of interest to me b/c for some reason I've been feeling kind of frumpy lately. I started going to a local spa and actually trying to take care of myself for once in my life. Creepy,huh? At least for me. I don't "do" beauty stuff. Oh well - we all have to change.

I was just at my son's engagement party a few weeks ago, and over and over people kept saying, "you can't be x's MOM! You look WAY too YOUNG! Of course, though I know they were lying like Labrador Retrievers, I ate this up and reached for another glass of pink champagne. Flattery, my dears, will get you EVERWHERE...

Then I got to food and exercise.

Survey says....XXXXXX.

Brick wall. I bailed.

I didnt' want out to find my real age is 55+.

Since I've started my career, I don't eat, I don't sleep, I drink too much, I don't drink enough water, I don't exercise. About the only good thing you can say for me is that I don't watch TV, I keep my weight down and I have a flat stomach.

Oh, and I take my vitamins and I am the Queen Bee (i.e., my MIL bought me this royal jelly stuff that is supposed to give me "incredible energy", which so far only doesn't seem to be manifesting itself in the kitchen or behind a vacuum cleaner).

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Yeah, right. Like they have a Royal KY jelly.

*already ducking behind fortified blog bunker*

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

If they did, I'm sure she would have bought that for me too.

BEE JELLY, KJ. From bees. Bzzzzz. It has vitamin... B in it, I think.

*sigh*

Don't worry, I'm laughing too. That's why the long comment - this whole thing appeals to my sick side. Like I have another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home