Thursday, July 13, 2006

Get Gymkata In DVD

Sleeping on the job has its punishment. You see, Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI needed your help. One of the most inept, inexplicably bad "sports" movies, actions movies, and general release movies of all time is Gymkata. "What is Gymkata?" you ask. Well, I've talked about this movie before, but here goes.

According to the tag line, it is "The skill of gymnastics, the kill of karate." Personally, I'd put my money on Hoyce Gracie everytime. Nonetheless, this movie has the script of a 10 year old, the acting quality of an elementary production of Peter and the Wolf, and the sound effects of a Bugs Bunny Movie. It is unintentional hilarity.

In 1985, Kurt Thomas had just competed and won something in the Olympics. Since it was OK to love your country in 1985, and many Olympians were still amatuers, many Olympic athletes were determined to cross over into money making careers. Thomas decided to pretend to be an actor, and his dream, Gymkata was made.

The plot is certainly unique. Johnathan Cabot (Thomas) is a champion gymnast. In the tiny, yet savage, country of Parmistan, there is a perfect spot for a "star wars" site. For the US to get this site, they must compete in the brutal "Game." No one has won the game in 900 years. That is right. 900 years. So to be prepared, Cabot trains for TWO MONTHS! Cabot, the son of a former operative, must win the game to get the star wars site approved. Cabot must combine his gymnastics skills of the west with fighting secrets of the east and form the absurd: GYMKATA!

So, how does the plot go, you ask? This is the best site to explain it: I-Mockery. I encourage you to read the summary from beginning to end. I know he tells you how the story ends, but it is OK. This is not a movie with the element of surprise. This is not Sixth Sense, trust me.

Where does Gymkata rate in the movie world? Well, it is Maxim's 17th Worst Movie all time. That was generous, actually. I have read other reviews that place it in much worse positions, including the worst sports movie of all time, and the worst movie of all time, but I can't find them on line.

In any event, there was an election being held by Amazon to vote to release this classic movie onto DVD. Here is another place to vote for Gymkata's DVD release. Like a Georgia democrat who still does not have to show ID, I voted often. But had I been on the ball, I could have appealed to my mass body of readers to vote for Gymkata as well. Alas, voting ended July 1, and the winners will be anounced in August.

Don't listen to this guy -- a Gymkata hater. If Gymkata is chosen, add it to your collection.

5 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger camojack said...

I vaguely remember when that flick was released...it seemed way too hokey to spend actual money on.

Now, having read your synopsis, my suspicions of the time have been confirmed...

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Oh Lord...here we go :D

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

This movie sounds purely insane, and therefore right up my alley .. i'll have to check it out

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this movie several times when I was kit and I actually liked. Something interesting about the movie is that is really similar to the stupid reality elimination shows like "Treasure Hunters" and "Amazing Race". Participants in the movie get eliminated along the race (killed). If you ignore all the stupidity as I did when I was a kid, you should enjoy the movie.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out this link on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Gymkata/dp/B00005JP3R/sr=1-2/qid=1156898225/ref=sr_1_2/103-8053687-4351803?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It comes out on Jan. 30th, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home