Sunday, February 19, 2006

It's Cold Out There

Well, I took week off blogging because I had too much non-blogging to do. If only I were refreshed. So be it.

Bryant Gumbie Is Still Supid

Bryant Gumbie suggested that the Winter Olympics were not real sports because (1) there aren't many blacks, just like a GOP convention, and (2) the sports are largely determined by judges.

KJ's All Inclusive Theory Of Sport

Agreed on the second point. In my view, there are three kinds of sports:

Level 1: Those with objective scoring or defense. Most of these are objective scoring points. For exemple, a race is objective - the first to cross the finish line. Most races and field competitions satisfy this requirement.

Level 2: A level 2 sport has both objective scoring and defense. Most common team sports, like basketball, are level 2 sports. Events that are head to head also satisfy this. I consider head to head competition to be the equivilent of "defense." For example, tennis. Note: Although soccer is a level 2 sport, it still sucks big time.

Level 0: A sport with neither objective scoring or defense. You know what I'm talking about. Judged sports. This is most winter games with the exception of the Level 1 races (skiing, speed skating, bobsledding and luge) and Level 2 hockey. In the summer, you have level zero games like gymnastics and ball room dancing. These are nice, athletic forms of entertainment. They are not sport.

Back To Gumbie

But what was he thinking on the first. His remarks:

"Count me among those who don't care about them and won't watch them... So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention."

Glad to know that white people don't qualify as the world's best athletes, though. While figure skating may be the sport of queens, in more ways than one, last I checked hockey was a real man's sport. It isn't whities fault that it doesn't snow in Africa.

Some black activists recognize this.

"Everyone can understand a person's disdain for a particular sporting event, but for Gumbel to castigate an entire field of athletes who have worked a lifetime in pursuit of a dream - and then injecting race into it - is unforgivable," said Project 21 member Mychal Massie.

"Interest in sporting activities are often dictated by environment. That's why Nordic and European countries have excelled in past Winter Olympics," said Project 21 member Deneen Moore. "It's a simple fact that winter sports are not part of black culture for both geographic and economic reasons. Accessibility, affordability and motivation are key requirements for individuals to excel in sport activities, not the color of one's skin. Mr. Gumbel should be aware of these obvious facts and not try to score cheap racial political points."

Nicely stated. In the irony category, a few days after Gumbie's comments, Shani Davis became the first black male to win a Winter Olympic Gold medal, though that doesn't end the story about him.

Bin Laden Makes An Offer I Can't Refuse

In other news, Bin Laden vows to never be captured alive.

Uh, OK. Agreed.

Other stuff

More evidence of global warming? I'm sure someone is claiming that it is.

Heh.

21 Comments:

At 4:12 AM, Blogger camojack said...

Bin Laden Makes An Offer I Can't Refuse

In other news, Bin Laden vows to never be captured alive.

Uh, OK. Agreed.


I'll second that. All in favor?

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Hey, but Gumbel's remarks aren't racist :)

Just so we get that straight.

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a bumper sticker Sunday morning:

"Only God can pass judgement on the terrorists, but the Marine Corps will arrange the meeting"

So it goes.

-Don Brouhaha

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

Maybe we should remind Bryant that most black athletes are professionals, and probably outnumber white athletes (and out-earn them). Sort of like conservatives not teaching at the universities - they're a bunch of heartless, selfish people with their mind on their money and their money...

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I like that, Don.

KJ, I'll have you know we watched a soccer match in your honor last night.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassandra,
Soccer is for skinny guys who can't throw.

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Dude...

Because it's 2 am and I am exhausted, I will not unleash the wrath of the soccer faithful upon your sorry tuckus :D

I like soccer because my sons both played. My youngest boy was really quite talented and I became very fond of the game through watching him play. Even though he doesn't play anymore, I still like it.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger KJ said...

I will not only watch KJita play soccer, I will coach it b/c the other lazy @$$ parents won't. Of course, the one beauty of soccer is that it is an instant mediocrity sport. Even 4 year olds look competent playing it. In fact, theirs is the only game I've enjoyed watching.

If she plays forever, I will cheer her on forever.

The game itself, however, will nonetheless forever suck.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

KJ, that is utter bull. Quit cranking one up.

I watched over twelve years of kids playing soccer and helped my husband coach for about half of that and it's a very difficult game to play well.

My husband played football well enough that the guy had a damn chest full of trophies and awards by the time I met him - all Europe, all state, you name it. He played defense and offense, was MVP several times. The guy was apparently quite good - I really wasn't paying attention and he doesn't talk about it, but I used to have to listen to his mother go on and on. He said after coaching for a few years that he wished he'd had the chance to play soccer more than just one year in the Marines - he thought it was not an easy sport to play well.

Soccer requires real skill and coordination - much more than football. And it was a joy to watch my son play simply because of the raw intelligence he displayed on the field.

I think you're just being a sports snob.

I am not a big "athletic supporter", but the spouse routinely played three sports a year and lettered in all of them. He started in football and basketball in HS, so he can't have been too bad at it. If he thinks it is a "real sport" then I imagine that's enough for me.

Ppppppppppppttttthhhhhtttt!!!!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

And if you don't enjoy watching soccer it's because there are so many crappy coaches who don't teach the kids to play their positions and they play mob ball.

So when you coach, try teaching them to *pass* instead of running all over the field like deranged nitwits.

Then, it's a thing of beauty and there's some strategy to it. What a concept.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Jane Bellwether said...

From my experience of letting the kids suck at league soccer, it is a hard sport to grasp because it isn't culturally prevalent, and it's tough to get decent coaches because it isn't culturally prevalent.

Someone once described youth soccer to me as a bunch of bees in blue and red jerseys buzzing around the ball up and down the field with no awareness of the goals.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

Soccer looks like good exercise to me, much better than say croquet.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger KJ said...

Don't give me that stuff about not liking it because I don't understand the game. I understand the game. I've watched it played by the best. Understanding doesn't mean appreciate. I also understand what my doctor is doing during my colonoscopy. I still think it sucks.

And I will, if I continue coach, teach them how to play the game right. I like winning too much not to.

Also, I didn't say the game wasn't tough to play at the highest levels. I said the game was one where any person with any coordination could be instantly mediocre. That is not true with baseball or basketball, and not quite true with football.

I'm glad the unit played "real" sports too (I never said soccer wasn't a real sport -- only that it sucked). I'm not sure whether he "mastered" soccer first, but I'll bet he was competent at it first.

As far as I'm concerned, soccer is cross country running with an occassional kick to the shin.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

tee bee nailed it.

My husband coached rec soccer and had them playing like club soccer kids because he rotated everyone and made them play their positions so they didn't get all tuckered out in the first half. Everyone played both offense and defense.

Boy did that piss off the "stars" - and their parents. But it made them humble when the kids they thought had no talent started to score goals and we started beating the town team that had been kicking our butts for years.

I still like the game. Always have, always will.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger KJ said...

And that's OK.

No need to be threatened by my lack of appreciation. I do not intend to outlaw soccer when I become all powerful. It will merely be discouraged.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

Will you consider outlawing skateboarding?

And X-games?

For me?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger KJ said...

Consider it done, friend.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I am not threatened by your lack of common sense, my friend. I will simply have to drive down there and bounce a few soccer balls off your unresisting forehead until you see reason.

These things are susceptible to sensible solutions.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger KJ said...

At soccer practice this week -- the team's first -- a parent asked what we were going to do. I said I was going to line up the kids and throw soccer balls at their head until they learned to head them back to me.

Some parents have no sense of humor.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Oh Lord KJ.

I will say that that is my pet peeve. About soccer, I mean.

Heading the ball.

Mind you I have no particular beef with heading as an art form, done with a proper regard for form and by someone with skill, experience, and taste. But if the act is not performed properly, it can be aesthetically displeasing (not to mention downright dangerous).

If you explain this to your parents you should have no further problems with them.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

...and if there is one thing I cannot abide, it is a parent with no sense of humor.

Shame on them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home