Thursday, January 12, 2006

Award For Thoughtful Brevity

Sometimes, I find myself in awe of someone who can state a coherent, excellent argument of a concept worthy of a whole book in just a few words.

Jeff, of Beautiful Autrocities, also a writer, provocateur and nice guy, and owner of one of the funniest sites on the internet BTW, did just that in a comment to one of his own posts.

Since I don't have his gift of brevity, let me give you a long winded background.

Jeff wrote a great post noting the real enemy to the homosexual community represented by radical Islam. Mark Steyn then recognized one of Jeff's great lines ['Under Shariah, you'll really be giving head, & not in a good way' ] and nominated it for a Pulitzer. Jeff, being the good blogger he is, noted Steyn's comment in a new post.

A comment to that post by reader David Thomson stated as follows:
Jeff and I probably have our differences. I am adamantly against gay marriage (my views are premised on secular concerns and have next to nothing to do with religious values). Other than that, though, homosexuals should have equal rights. Among them, is the ability to persuade America’s voters to disagree with me. Alas, I may ultimately be on the losing side!
Jeff responded with such a brilliant comment it is worthy of its own post. It sums up nearly all identity politics perfectly.

FYI I agree that subverting the social contract it's taken hundreds of years to develop is not a good idea, but support civil unions. The gay 'community' - by which I mean the highly visible group that won't shut up - seems to be following the black 'community' right off the identity politics cliff. It's a self-centered, victim-oriented worldview in which anyone who disagrees with you is a hater, out to GET you. Which precludes the need for thoughtful debate. Then you blame your self-marginalization on - homophobia! (or racism, misogyny, fill-in-the-blank)

Great point, Jeff. And I second the Pulitzer. I Lost My Head Over Islam is a great post.

Of course, he still doesn't link to No Government Cheese, but I'm not one to quible over quid pro quos.

11 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger cakreiz said...

Since you're praising about coherence and logic, let me refer you to Callimachus' piece, "Losing Iraq", posted yesterday at Done With Mirrors (vernondent.blogspot.com)

It's a masterful piece well worth reading.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

From another universe:

January 9, 2006 11:46 AM

Jeff's such a great guy. So smart he scares me sometimes, and funny, and really a hell of a kind person.

There is a very formidable mind underneath all that snark. Truly one of the greats of the blogosphere, and I mean that most sincerely.


Check your mail in a few minutes :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

Whoa!
Catching email from another universe!
Impressive!
Exclamation!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

No, not an email. Just a comment. I just thought Jeff should see it because it's true.

So often people say nice things about other people and they never even know.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEET! So I can start to disregard all the nasty things people say about me, and just count on the fact that there are heretofore unknown people in little enclaves praising my existence...

Cass, you've really brightened my day ;-)

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I receive nice e-mails about Brad all the time. I hide them, however, because I don't want other people to be happy when I am so lonely.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

It's probably true Brad. I know - I'm such a Pollyanna.

Somebody has to believe.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably true is good enough for me!

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks lol. A BA link isn't exactly Michelle Malkin, tho

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

'Taint the traffic, as far as I'm concerned. It's the quality of the conttent, and of the readership.

The traffic will come, or not. Ain't no big thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home