Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Your Morning Dose Of Strangeness

To which race of Middle Earth do you belong?


Elvish
Elvish


I'll bet you were wondering about that, weren't you?

Since I'm in a strange mood this morning, I found something interesting: a clip of JRR Tolkein reading my favorite poem from LOTR in Quenya (the language of the elves). It's really quite lovely - give it a listen. When I was a young girl I was quite the LOTR enthusiast and learned this poem by heart, but this is obviously the first time I've heard it spoken by anyone but myself:

Ai! laurie lantar lassi surinen!
Yeni unotime ve ramar aldaron,
Yeni ve linte yuldar vanier
Mi oromardi lisse-miruvoreva
Andune pella Vardo tellumar
Nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni
Omaryo airetari-lirinen.

Si man i yulma nin enquantuva?

An si Tintalle Varda Oilosseo
Ve fanyar maryat Elentari ortane,
Ar ilye tier undulare lumbule;
Ar sindanoriello caita mornie
I falmalinnar imbe met, ar hisie
Untupa Calaciryo miri oiale.

Si vanwa na, Romello vanwa, Valimar!
Namarie! Nai hiruvalye Valimar.
Nai elye hiruva. Namarie!

Ah! Like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
Long years numberless as the wings of trees!
The long years have passed like swift draughts of the sweet mead
In lofty halls beyond the West
Beneath the blue vaults of Varda
Wherein the stars tremble in the song of her voice,
Holy and queenly.

Who now shall refill the cup for me?

For now the Kindler, Varda,
The Queen of the Stars, from Mount Everwhite
Has uplifted her hands like clouds,
And all paths are drowned deep in shadow;
And out of a grey country darkness lies on the foaming waves between us,
And mist covers the jewels of Calacirya for ever.
Now lost, lost to those from the East is Valimar!

8 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Pile OnĀ® said...

This is so refreshing.

KJ never posts stuff like this.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

And now you know why.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Either that or Loony Tunes :) I didn't see that category...

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an Elf.

I was going for Hobbit.

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the linguists who helped Viggo Mortensen and Liv Tyler with their dialogue ever compared their notes with Tolkein's pronunciation? Kewl link, Cass.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Cassandra said...

I put it up there for you, Cricket :) When I saw it, I thought of you immediately.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I am loved.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

Very much so :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home