Monday, July 18, 2005

Self Esteem Run Amock

What happens when the schools' culture of undeserved "self esteem" takes over? Elijah Walker gives us a sneak peak. Everyone thinks they are the clone army of the future.


Elijah Walker's hearing in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court Wednesday sounded more like a science-fiction movie than a sentence for cocaine possession.
Walker said he wanted to plead guilty, even though he'd have to serve six months in prison.

But he raised an issue Judge Melba Marsh hadn't heard before: He didn't want to give a sample of his DNA, fearing the state might use it to clone him.

"I don't know what you're going to do with it," Walker told the judge. "You could do all kinds of things with it. I just know I have to protect it."

I have bad news for Mr. Walker. But I will let assistant prosecutor Kevin Hardman deliver the message:

"I'm not sure the state really wants another Elijah Walker," he said.

4 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jehane said...

All snark aside KJ, what the heck do they need it for?

Doesn't this amount to unreasonable search and seizure? Sounds like a perfectly reasonable response to me: just what the heck ARE you going to do with it? What do you NEED it for, anyway?

Before you jump all over me, my husband is in the military to safeguard your civil rights. I have put up with all sorts of bullsh*t for over 20 years for that reason and that reason alone. I believe in the Bill of Rights.

And they want to do this with the active-duty military too, and it's offensive as hell. The government doesn't safeguard your data. It ends up on the Internet. Your SSN gets disclosed to all and sundry. Your DNA could end up in the hands of some insurance company some day as grounds not to insure you.

And dammitall, they don't need your DNA for a cocaine possession charge - they only want it to try and convict him of something else. Maybe if he were a violent offender, I'd buy off, but no sale.

I'm with Elijah on this one, I'm afraid.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Hummer said...

Cassandra,

I join you and Mr. Walker on this one too, though not for the reason you think.

The government needs his DNA so that we can build a clone army to fight China. It isn't like a billion soldiers are going to grow on trees, what with Roe v Wade killing all our minority potential soldiers. And since he is a minority, we won't feel as bad cloning him and letting them die.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Jehane said...

I thought it was the volunteer army that was killing all our economically underprivileged and minority soldiers?

Damn that Charles Rangel. I'll never listen to the misleading bastard again.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Jehane said...

Damn.

I forgot the gay/lesbian/transgenerdered/other soldiers.

Them too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home