Thursday, June 02, 2005

MEME Alert

Brad of The Unrepentant Individual, which ironically is a team blog, has tagged me for a Meme.

The subject:

Yep, I've decided to start a meme. I realized the whole blogosphere is just out there intent on attacking me with these infernal nuisances. So now I'm fighting back:

The Five Things I Miss From My Childhood

My answers, in no particular order:

1. Playing baseball (or football) on an organized team, then the same day playing baseball or football on an unused field, back yard, seldom used street, etc., until it was dangerously dark. To keep with the sports theme, a major part of my youth, I would add school yard kickball. What a blast. And never having to report in at home because we didn't fear child abduction.

2. My Godfather, who served as a surrogate father much of my youth, and all the things that go with him. Going to the nearby courts to shoot basketball in Lexington. He once helped me shovel a 15 foot arch in front of a goal so I could shoot with gloves on when I was young. I would be in awe at his two handed set shot left over from the 1940s, but he could shoot from 45 feet out consistently in his 50s. He played the harmonica like a pro, but had taught himself. I miss him.

3. Picking up a fishing pole and a spinner bait whenever I had some free time and walking to a nearby creek or pond to fish for all the bluegill and small mouth bass I could cathc. Then feeding the family with my catch.

4. Going to flea markets with my Mom and step-father. He sold old knives which didn't interest me. So I became a baseball card dealer, which explains the 30,000 or so cards stored in my house, including a number of great players from the 50s thru the 70s, like rookie cards of Ryan, Carlton, Koufax, Bench, Munsun, etc. I built my collection by selling new cards, often of Reds players, to kids for $ .50 and buying older, all time greats from the adult dealers. Eventually, I got my own corner on our table. The collection now sits in protective cases and, hopefully, appreciates.

5. My Mom's mountain influenced, fried, comfort food on a budget cooking. She made some of the best poverty budget dishes around. Little flaky homemade biscuits with gravy made from the meat skillet; salmon patties; home made corn bread; fried pork chops (cheap kind with the bones); and macaronini and tomatoes come to mind.

OK, instructions from the creator:

Like chain letters, put a link to your own blog at #5, and the link of all the referring blogs move up one spot. Since bloggers are unapologetic link-whores, this should be a hit, IMHO. Make sure you actually link the blog in question, or it's not really worthwhile.

1. DailyKos
2. Wizbang
3. Catallarchy
4. Unrepentant Individual
5. No Government Cheese

I tag:

1. spd rdr at Heigh-Ho
2. Cassandra at Villainous Company
3. Pile On at The Ebb and Flow Institute
4. Rightwingsparkle of, well, Rightwingsparkle

Four is enough. I won't hit anyone I hit last time I did this insufferable thing.

I now declare myself Meme proof until July 1, 2005.

12 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

I'll get you or this, counsellor.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

Five things I miss from my childhood? I was expecting something kind of cool and this is what you hit me with? This is so Tuesdayish, should I wait?

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger KJ said...

spd, I know. I didn't create the rules.

Cass, huh.

Pile On, Tuesdayish, or Thursdayish?

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

Oh yeah Thursday, very Thursdayish.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

My God Cass, you are just like Hitler!!!!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger KJ said...

My Pile, what a news flash. We, like, already knew that. I mean, she sleeps with Bush's U.S. war machine. Like, almost every night.

Ya know.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Pile On® said...

I was just trying to be nice. Cass read the latest post at Beautiful Atrocities and felt left out.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Kj, It sounds like you had a good childhood. I miss my grandparents too. My dad died 5 years ago and he was great with my children. Being a grandparent is so much easier than being a parent. I remember those days when we didn't have to worry about child abduction. I was allowed to ride my bike wherever I wanted as long as I was home before dark. Mom and dad did not have a lot of rules but that was one of the biggest ones. Oh, those good old days.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger RightwingSparkle said...

I will try to do this when I get back from traveling although what I miss is close to yours. Perhaps adding that I miss not caring how I looked.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger spd rdr said...

How come (PILE!!!!) I can't get a picture of "me" to come up when I post?

By the way, you're on a Heigh-ho.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger KJ said...

spd,

I have noticed that people who have a picture on their Blogger profile has a picture come up when they post. I think that is the key.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger KJ said...

RWS,

Thanks for playing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home