Monday, November 13, 2006

Sound Bites 11/13

It is nice to know that Pelosi will be governing from the center, just as her non-leftist district in San Franciso would want her to do.

Meanwhile, Elton John explains to us the meaning of tollerence. Pot, I'm kettle. You're black.

Although no Democratic incumbent lost in the general election last week, one did lose in the primaries this year. Bad timing to get beat again, Cynthia. Let's home your district keeps you at home this time.

Sometimes, the intelligence of our administration and military is worthy of question. Read this article, and pay attention to this:

The incident is a setback for the aggressive U.S.-China military exchange program being promoted by Adm. Fallon, who has made several visits to China in recent months in an attempt to develop closer ties. However, critics of the program in the Pentagon say China has not reciprocated and continues to deny U.S. military visitors access to key facilities, including a Beijing command center.

In contrast, Chinese military visitors have been invited to military exercises and sensitive U.S. facilities. Additionally, military intelligence officials said Adm. Fallon has restricted U.S. intelligence-gathering activities against China, fearing that disclosure of the activities would upset relations with Beijing.

I'm glad we shared first. Welcome back, Cold War.

It isn't the decision to fire Rumsfeld. It's the timing. Heh. But seriously, it doesn't look good. I'm surprised, frankly. But only a little.

Forty things that only happen in the movies.

For you history and imperialism buffs out there: This is really cool.

Tip for you would be counterfeiter: when photocopying your money, set copier to "2-sided."

Finally, is Michael Vick killing your Fantasy Football team? Try Fantasy Congress. Damn that Cynthia McKinney!

6 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger nomobills said...

Elton John should just stick to singing... and the Falcons need to win a game!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

It isn't the decision to fire Rumsfeld. It's the timing. Heh.

You know I really do have to laugh at that.

Is there any time during which he would not have been criticized? If it had been before Nov 7th, that would have been good in some ways but he would have been reviled as a 'blatantly cynical move" and he would have been crucified for throwing Rummy to the wolves to appease the terrorists...err... democrats. Like I said, I need to write about this but I've been busy.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger KJ said...

I thought the "it's the timing" was funny, too. Isn't that what's behind everything Bush does, according to the hard left Bush-haters?

Newt's point was different than Steyn's. Newt is upset that the President made the decision before the election, mislead us about it up until the election, then did it the next day. Steyn's main point is just about the timing post election and the PR the terrorists can get out of it.

I agree that Bush is criticized either way -- but one way is still better than another. All I can say is I think Newt is right that Bush should not have mislead us. It supports all the "dishonest" White House claims the opposition has been saying.

As for Steyn's point, I tend to think it would have been better to say, pre-election, Rummy was resigning, if that was in fact already the decision. It couldn't have hurt the Reps in the elections. It might have helped. And it would have avoided the post-defeatist look to the resignation.

But I naively assumed Bush would keep Rummy all 8 years, so I can't say I analyzed which was better ex-ante. Maybe I once again over estimated a Bush's resolve.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Cassandra said...

My husband had a completely different take on it, and he's no fan of Bush's.

He said that Bush has absolutely no obligation to make his staffing decisions in the media spotlight. His only beef with Bush was that he seemed a bit too uneasy about it - he thought he should have just come out and said, "Look guys - I'm the president and I'm going to make the decision when I make it and then I will tell you. Not before."

And when I thought about that, I really couldn't find much fault with that. People really need to get over themselves :)

You fire people and THEN you tell the world when you're ready. For all we know, he had his reasons. Or not. But he's the President and I sure am sick of all the idiotic navel gazing.

 
At 4:08 AM, Blogger camojack said...

So is it Sir or Lady Elton John (Joan), then?

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger KJ said...

Obligations, and politics. Apples, and oranges. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home