Whither Liberty Part II
Part of the carryover conversation from Whither Liberty - At Government's Feet or at Its Head? was a discussion of exactly what government should be responsible.
I began with the federal government and delineated what I thought they should be responsible for:
A. Provide for the common defense
1. Support the states in preparing for civil and national defense
B. Promote the general welfare
1. Support commerce through minimal transportation organization and
2. Provide minimal regulation of commerce, seeking to ally states and never to trump them unless civil or national defense are jeopardized by a state's action or law
3. Ensure significant property ownership rights
4. Ensure significant self-protection rights
5. Ensure that taxation never rests inequitably
6. Ensure that taxation never rests heavily or accretes more to the federal government than to the states
C. Secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity
1. Provide reasonable order to the judicial process, explicitely ensuring that no laws contradict Constitutional laws
2. Provide minimal support and framework for states to provide education
Without a working framework of what you believe government should have the power to do, how can you support legislation and candidates?
More importantly, how can you influence them?
CP @ GMC.